Exchange Teaching in the U.S
If you are a non-U.S. citizen with teaching experience, this Teacher Exchange Program offers you a unique opportunity to learn different methods of teaching while also bringing an important international perspective to U.S. classrooms and students. The reciprocal benefits of this program are designed to foster greater understanding of different teaching methodologies as well as provide an opportunity to learn and teach much more than basic education. The program provides a rare chance to shape a new generation of leaders, exposing students to the ideas of inclusion and tolerance and enabling them to think with greater perspective.
Through the Teacher Exchange program, experienced teaching professionals with a qualifying degree may teach in accredited educational institutions (primary and secondary school(s)) for up to 3 years.
Finding a Job
GeoVisions will work with you and our international partners to match you with a once in a lifetime teaching opportunity here in the United States.
GeoVisions places eager and qualified candidates in teaching jobs in some of the best K-12 schools across the country.
- Teacher should expect the same salary as their American Coworkers in similar positions and of similar experience.
- Schools must involve teachers in community and cultural activities.
- Schools must help with the certification process, offer professional development opportunities and monitor the teacher’s responsibilities.
Jobs must provide a salary that meets the minimum wage regulations
- Jobs must provide your safety, well-being, and protect your rights.
Meeting J-1 Visa Regulations
According to the J-1 Visa, exchange teachers must:
- Meet the qualifications for teaching in primary or secondary schools in your country of nationality or last legal residence
- Be teaching at the time of application, and have at least two years of full-time teaching experience.
You may also qualify for the Teacher Exchange Program by:
- Teaching at the primary or secondary levels, by having two years of full-time teaching experience within the past eight years at the time of application
- Have or will have completed an advanced degree in education or related subject matter that you intend to teach.
Becoming a Better Educator
Our sponsorship support ensures a successful program experience by
- Providing expert resources including placement assistance,
- A thorough eligibility review
- Recruiting and screening of host school placement,
- 24-hour participant support and compliance assistance to ensure regulations are being met.
The program provides a unique opportunity to shape a new generation of leaders, exposing students to the ideas of inclusion and tolerance and enabling them to think with greater perspective. Not only do international exchange teachers have the occasion to enhance American’s knowledge of foreign cultures and overall knowledge bases’, but teachers have the opportunity to build on and develop practical skills that will enhance future careers.
Contact us to start your United States adventure
You’ll need to:
Be in good standing and reputation in your home country. A background check is required for all applicants.
Make sure you have sufficient finances to support your program fees, travel and housing.
Make travel, housing, and transportation arrangements prior to arrival.
Work with your school to obtain the necessary certifications.
Check in within GeoVisions upon arrival and check in monthly.
Complete annual cultural exchange report.
An Extraordinary Exchange
Teaching is an admirable profession with unlimited potential to influence and impact young lives. GeoVisions helps teachers broaden the world view of today’s American youth through partnering excellent and inspired teaching professionals with accredited host schools and learning institutions across the U.S.
Being sponsored by GeoVisions means not only having a dedicated team behind you every step of the way, but it also means having 24-hour participant support to make sure you are getting the most out of your experience. We make sure to thoroughly vet institutions to ensure that they are not only accredited institutions but that they are up to date with Department of State regulations.
While we assist with placing individuals with host schools in the U.S., we also offer sponsorships to individuals who have already arranged a teaching opportunity with a host school. More than anything, we are here to ensure you have both a wonderful experience, but have the opportunity to change lives through the best for of exchange: the exchange of knowledge.
If you have your own placement, the program fee is $3300
If you need GV to find you placement, it is $4300
- Program application processing and guidance throughout application process
- Program eligibility screening including sponsor English interview
- Detailed resume review and feedback
- Teach placement matching with an accredited U.S. Host School
- Host School interview coordination
- Host School application processing
- Placement vetting
- DS-2019 processing and issuance
- Visa sponsorship
- Detailed information on Embassy appointment
- Pre-arrival instructions and materials
- Pre Departure Orientation
- SEVIS check in and ongoing record maintenance
- Medical insurance coverage for first 90 days of program and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation coverage for duration of J-1 program
- Access the Student Central with program guidance and helpful tools
- Support from dedicated Outreach Coordinator
- 24/7 emergency support for entire program
- Reminder and review of required participant annual report
- Administrative costs
- SEVIS Fee ($180 USD)
- Visa Interview Fee ($160)
- Foreign Credential Evaluation Fees ($200-$400, depending on number of transcripts being evaluated)
- Criminal Background Check (varies by location, see some examples below.)
- AZ – ~ $70
- CO – ~ $60
- NV – ~ $160
- TX – ~ $60
- For most accurate cost per state, please check state’s website
- Airfare to and from the U.S.
- Program Renewal Fee ($1,000 annually – see details below)
- Program Extension Fee during 3rd year of program ($367 paid to the U.S. Department of State)
- J-2 Dependent Application Fee ($500 per dependent)
- Medical Insurance after first 90 days (varies, based on insurance options provided by the school)
- State Teacher Certification/Licensure Costs (varies by location, see some examples below)
- AZ – ~ $70
- CO – ~ $100
- NV – ~ $70
- TX – ~ $170
- For most accurate cost per state, please check state’s department of education website
- State Tests that are required as part of the State Certification process are usually additional cost that ranges between $60-$140
- Housing, transportation, meals, and personal expenses. For additional information about these expenses, please click below