Travel Outside the US During Your Program

Trips Out of the United States

If you wish to travel abroad during your time in the United States, you can only travel abroad within the dates on your DS-2019 Form. If you travel outside of these dates, you may not be allowed back into United States and you will have to travel back to your home count

If you wish to travel during the dates on your DS Form, you will need to send us your DS-2019 Form so that we can authorize your travel. This signature is required by Customs and Border Patrol for re-entry to the U.S. and confirms that you remain in good standing on the program. You should send your DS-2019 form to the GeoVisions office at least two weeks before your trip. Please include a note with the following information:

  • The dates you are planning on traveling
  • Destination Information – where will you be staying on your trip?
  • Your return address
  • Your phone number

In order for us to sign off on your DS-Form, please mail your DS Form to:

16 Market Square, Suite 4
Portsmouth NH 03801

Once GeoVisions receives your DS Form and additional information, we will sign it and will send it back to the address you provided.
We will send it by the same means you sent it to us; ie overnight post, or by regular mail.

Important Notes:

  • Make sure your J-1 visa allows you to make multiple entries into the U.S. This is indicated by the letter “M” under the word “Entries” on your J-I visa and allows you to re-enter the U.S. more than once during your authorized dates. If your visa does not have an “M” you may not re-enter the U.S. on J-1 status.
  • Make sure you look online to see if you need to apply for a visa to enter the country you will be visiting. Here is the link for those interested in visiting Canada: Visit Canada

  • Make sure that your employer has approved your time away from your work site, since you will be travelling during the dates on your DS Form. We always recommend to students to travel on your days off so that you don’t leave your employer shorthanded.
  • Upon your return to the U.S., you must present your passport with your valid J-1 Visa and your signed DS-2019 form to the Immigration Officer. The officer will look at your DS-2019 form and return it to you, so keep these documents safe.

To see more detailed information – please download the student handbook