Flying, except on very short trips, this is the quickest way to travel in the U.S. There are more than 1,000 airports throughout the country! Check the internet or the travel section of major metropolitan newspapers for the latest and lowest airline fares. With many low cost airlines in the U.S. it is sometimes cheaper to fly then to take a bus or train.


Bus travel is an inexpensive and popular way to travel around the U.S. The major bus companies can help you connect to local bus transportation to reach even remote towns.
Greyhound Bus Company is one of the major bus companies in the U.S. and offers a number of special discount passes. Greyhound information can be found online at Greyhound or by phone at (toll-free) 1-800-231-2222.
Mega Bus & Bolt Bus are both one of the cheapest carriers of bus service in terms of price, but are reliable. For tickets and a complete coverage map visit the following links: Megabus & Boltbus


Amtrak, the national railroad, offers rail passes that allow you to travel through just a part, or on the entire system. You can buy single trip tickets and there is even a pass available only to foreign visitors to the. U.S. For tickets and a complete coverage map visit the following link: Amtrak or by phone (toll-free) at 1-800-872-7245.


Hitchhiking is very dangerous. It is strongly discouraged. In most of the states in the U.S. it is illegal. However it is completely illegal to hitchhike on any major highway, exit, or entrance ramp in the U.S. If you are caught hitching in places that it is illegal, the police can arrest you .


Organized tours can be a great way of traveling if you are on your own or if time is limited. They are a good way to make new friends and see a large area in a short amount of time. Many students like to take adventure tours on which you stay in tents, cook your own meals, and visit major cities and national parks.


In order to drive, you must have a valid driver’s license from your home country. You will also need an International Driver’s License, available in your home country from motoring organizations. You must obtain the International License prior to arrival in the U.S. To rent a car, most companies require that you be at least 21 years of age and have at least one major credit card.


When you are traveling in the U.S., you have many choices in deciding where to stay. You can choose from hotels, motels, youth hostels, YMCA’s, YWCA’s, campsites, bed and breakfasts, and universities. There are about 300 youth hostels operated by the American Youth Hostels Association, a member of the International Youth Hostel Federation, which are scattered throughout the U.S. In order to use a Youth Hostel facility, you must be a member of the organization. YMCA’s and YWCA’s also provide affordable temporary lodging.


You may want to buy a travel guidebook to help you find accommodations, restaurants, and other facilities while you are traveling in the U.S. Two that we recommend are the Let’s Go Guides and the Lonely Planet Guides.

To see more detailed information – please download the student handbook