When you begin your job, your employer will ask you to complete a W-4 form (Employee’s Withholding Allowance Certificate) to ensure that you are not overtaxed. Your employer will use the information on this form to determine how much tax should be withheld from your paycheck.

If you do not fill out your W -4 form properly, you may have to pay more tax in the future. Please note that you are classified as a “non-resident alien”. Therefore, the instructions shown on the W-4 form do not apply. The following instructions on filling out your W-4 form are from the following website: International Revenue Service

Please follow the instructions below when completing the W-4 form:

  • On line 3 check only the box marked “single” marital status (regardless of marital status)
  • On line 5 claim only one withholding allowance unless you are resident of Canada, Mexico, Japan, South Korea or a U.S. National.
  • On line 6 write “Non Resident Alien” above the dotted line.
  • On line 7 do NOT claim “EXEMPT” withhold status.

To see more detailed information – please download the student handbook