Frequently Asked Questions

Can I participate if I was on another Work/Travel program in the past?

Yes, as long as you meet all other eligibility requirements.

Can I find my own job?

GeoVisions offers a “self-placed” program in some countries. You will need to check with the representative in yours. “Self-placed” employers must complete a GeoVisions application form, and must re-confirm with GeoVisions that the job offer is still valid when you apply. GeoVisions must approve your employer in accordance with State Department regulations.

Do you provide medical insurance?

Medical insurance is required. GeoVisions provides the insurance coverage, although some of our partners may provide their own policy. Check with your agent.

Am I guaranteed a certain amount of work?

Since jobs are seasonal in nature, and are affected by factors like weather, tourism, and economy, no one can actually “guarantee” that you will work a set number of hours every week. Your employer can estimate how many hours you should be able to work, but you must remember that this is an estimate. You will most likely work fewer hours per week when you first arrive while you become familiar with your job. This is normal. Factors including your attitude, your work habits, and your level of English may also affect how many hours you will work. You can get a second (or more) job, if it does not interfere with your primary job. However, any job must be approved by GeoVisions BEFORE you begin working.

Can I change jobs when I arrive?

Ordinarily, no. You must work for the employer listed on your Form DS-2019. If you do not report to your approved employer, you will be terminated from the program, your visa will be cancelled, and the information will appear in your permanent record at the embassy. This can affect your ability to get future visas to the United States. There may some instances when you will be allowed to change jobs. If you are having problems at your workplace, contact GeoVisions.

Can I travel outside the United States during my program?

Yes you can, but only during the “work” portion of your program, and not during your 30-day travel period after your program. During that travel period you would not be re-admitted to the United States, even if it is simply to connect to a flight back to your home country. During your program, if you want to travel outside the US, you must send GeoVisions your Form DS-2019 two weeks in advance of your travel. We need to sign your form to verify you are still active on the program. We will return it to you, and you must present it to immigration authorities when you return to the US.

Does my DS-2019 Form give me permission to work in the US?

No, you need to apply for a Social Security card when you arrive in the United States. You must check in with GeoVisions before applying for your Social Security Card. Once you have applied, you can usually begin working while you wait for your Social Security number to be issued.

Can I work at any kind of job?

There are certain jobs you are not allowed to work at as a Work and Travel student. There is a listing of these jobs in the STUDENT CENTRAL section of the GeoVisions website.

Can I be fired from my job?

Yes. Common reasons for being fired include poor attitude, not being friendly toward customers, not showing up for work, not following directions, stealing from your employer, getting in trouble with local law enforcement, etc. In almost all instances, a student who is fired, will also be terminated from the program.

What does it mean to be terminated from the program?

Being terminated from the program is a serious consequence of not following program and/or State Department rules. GeoVisions is your program sponsor. We maintain your record in the State Department/Homeland Security database called SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System). If we terminate our sponsorship, you will no longer be in the United States legally. You will not be able to continue working, and you must leave the country immediately. You cannot travel for the thirty-day post-program travel period. Also, the record of your termination stays in your immigration database and will appear if you apply for another visa to the United States. Having a termination in your record will make it difficult for you to obtain a new visa.