How Do I Come to the United States?

We make your journey coming to the United States easier.

How Do I Come to the United States? 2018-11-21T15:48:38+00:00
GeoVisions  >>  Travel with GeoVisions  >>  Programs in the USA  >>  How Do I Come to the United States?

GeoVisions’s staff and our network of international agents will help you with all the necessary steps before, during, and after your adventure in America.

We have years of experience as a United States Department of State J-1 Visa sponsor for Summer Work & Travel programs and Teacher Exchange programs. We’ve helped thousands of international students and teachers come to the U.S. to work and travel, matching them with the locations, experiences and jobs that best meets their needs.

If you’re looking for help navigating your journey to the United States, GeoVisions is ready to get you started.  We’ll tell you all you need to know about the process, paperwork and rules, so you can be assured of an incredible experience and rest easier knowing we’re here to help.

 GeoVisions will assist you with all the preparations and be there whenever you need us while you’re in the U.S.A.

Your greatest adventure and experience of a lifetime is just within your reach. Let’s make it happen together.

Participate in Educational and Cultural Programs

The United States Department of State created the Exchange Visitor Program to enable international students and teachers to participate in cultural exchange, for the purpose of improved understanding between people of different cultures.

The purpose of the Exchange Visitor Program is to provide foreign nationals with opportunities to participate in educational and cultural programs in the United States and return home to share their experiences, and to encourage Americans to participate in educational and cultural programs in other countries.

Obtaining a J-1 Visa for the Exchange Visitor Program

GeoVisions is a designated “sponsor” of the U.S. Department of State, authorized to issue the DS-2019 form that allows the participant to apply for the J-1 visa for the Summer Work and Travel program. Once a job position offer has been received and approved, participants must take the DS-2019 to the U.S. Embassy in their respective countries to interview to obtain their visas. Our overseas partner organizations assist with this process to complete the program application, secure an embassy appointment, and help ensure that all participants meet the visa requirements and confidently passes screening criteria. This does not guarantee visa approval.

The visa process varies by country. A “safe” average processing time is 4-6 months before the desired arrival period and work start date. Application accuracy will help facilitate a more efficient review and reduce the time needed for any corrections or questions.

Diversity people making a star together with their fingers

Experience Total Cultural Immersion

GeoVisions is honored to serve as a designated Department of State J-1 visa sponsor. Our job is to ensure that program participants have a meaningful experience in the United States by being exposed to cultural activities, immersing in local communities, and working for U.S. businesses. By living in the United States for an extended period of time, you will truly come to understand the culture and people, gaining insights and experiences far greater than by simply traveling the country.

You’ll leave with a deeper understanding of the United States, a far better command of English, and with countless friends and memories that will remain with you for a lifetime.


Getting Started with the Visa Application Process

While we know you’re excited to start your international journey, there are details to work out, forms to complete, and interviews to arrange. GeoVisions and our international partners will assist you with the visa application process. Participants come to the United States on a J-1 Cultural Exchange visa.

1.  Sign up with a certified GeoVisions partner agency in your home country.

2.  Work with the partner agency to find the Summer Work Travel job opportunity that is the best fit for your skills and prior experience.

3. Interview for an available job in the United States that has been approved or secured by GeoVisions and meets the J-1 visa program requirements.

4.  Pass the interview and receive a job offer from a United States employer, provided to you by our partner agency.

5.  Complete the program application with your partner agency by providing all of the required supporting documentation.

6. Once your completed application has been received by GeoVisions, we will review all documents for compliance to the program regulations and then issue your DS-2019 form for embassy interview.

7.  Apply for a passport if you don’t have one. You must have a valid passport before contacting the U.S. Embassy for a visa interview. Be sure that your passport is valid for the entire time you plan to be in the United States.

8.  Arrange for an appointment with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country to have an in-person interview.

9. Prepare for the embassy interview with your partner agency.

10.  The visa officer will decide if you will be issued a visa after reviewing your visa application form and speaking with you in person. A DS-2019 form does not guarantee a visa will be issued.

11. Once your visa has been granted, follow the details provided in your job offer paperwork to make arrangements to arrive and begin your cultural exchange program in the U.S.

Summer Work Travel Eligibility

Students enrolled full-time and pursuing studies at accredited post-secondary academic institutions located outside of the U.S. who have successfully completed at least one semester, or equivalent, of post-secondary academic study are eligible.

Participation in the program is limited to those individuals who meet the age, English-speaking requirement, education and other eligibility requirements outlined by the U.S. Department of State.

Participants in the J-1 Summer Work Travel USA program may stay in the U.S. for up to 4 months. However, actual program length depends on your official university vacation dates as well as Department of State designated dates by country.

• You must be at least 18 years of age

• You must speak and understand English at a proficient level to interact in a English-speaking environment

• You have at least one semester or equivalent of post-secondary academic study outside the U.S. completed at the time of application

• You are enrolled in and actively pursuing a degree or other full-time course of study at an accredited post-secondary educational institution outside the U.S.

• You must have the intention to participate in cultural exchange activities.

• You must agree follow all of the programs regulations and sponsors rules, including a pre-departure orientation, SEVIS check-in, required monthly check-ins and approval for a second job.

• You must have the intention to complete the exchange program by returning to your home country at the end of your program experience. (Remember, you are an ambassador representing your country in the U.S. Violating the rules of exchange program by staying beyond the authorized time frame puts the program in your country at risk.)